ENERGY RADIO CLASSICS
Energy Radio Classics features all the biggest 90’s dance classics and hits of the early 2K’s played on Cyber Radio, the pre-cursor to Energy Radio Chicago. Energy Radio was heard in Toronto, Chicago, Phoenix and San Francisco in the ’90s to the mid-2000’s.
The sound was pre-EDM, it was great dance music and great styles of dance including house, euro, dream house, trance and more. Back in those days there was BEAT RADIO, GROOVE RADIO and CYBER RADIO (1997). All were dance music formats heard on various stations in the L.A. market, Chicago and online.
In January 2001, Big City Radio received a “cease and desist” from [then] Clear Channel to change the name for its 92.7 / 5 after recently acquiring WDEK 92.5 FM out of DeKalb. At that time it was known as KISS FM. Due to the fact that Clear Channel owned that “name” across the country, it was either change or face a losing battle.
Anyways… Big City’s 92KissFM changed its format on Jan. 26th, 2001 to ENERGY RADIO which was really an extension of Cyber Radio from a few years earlier. In fact, the company was given an opportunity to run the format in 1998 and declined. Their exact words were “we’ll never do dance music on this station, no one wants to hear that shit”.
Big City Radio launched ENERGY with “The Launch” from DJ Jean. However, for Big City, it was too little too late due to the mismanagement and incompetence of the company’s management.
“Energy 92-7 & 5” here in Chicago was broadcast on a trio of signals in suburban Chicago. A year and a half later, Sierra H Broadcasting debuted the very similar “Energy 92-7 & 101-1” on KAZL (eventually KNRJ) in Payson, AZ — with a simulcast on 10-watt K224CJ in Phoenix. From there, Energy San Francisco was launched and changed in 2011.
With Big City Radio in financial dire straits, Energy 92-7 & 5 ended in early January 2003. But its Arizona spinoff managed to survive for 6 years — which is about 5 1/2 years longer than most people would probably have predicted.
Below, you’ll find both of those great compilations DMA (Dance Music Authority) released for Energy Radio as well as music videos for over 150 of the biggest songs played on the radio station back in the day.
Tracklist for “The Compilation 1”
01. Da Buzz – Let Me Love You (Hex Hector Radio Version)
02. Zero – Bania U Cygana (Remix)
03. Chili Hi Fly – Is It Love? (Radio Edit)
04. Kim Sozzi – Feelin’ Me (Hex Hector / Mac Quayle Radio Edit)
05. Soul DuJour – Here We Go Again (Radio Mix)
06. Barry Harris – Dive In The Pool (Radio Edit)
07. Modjo – Chillin’ (Radio Edit)
08. Underdog Project – Summer Jam (Dance Movement Radio Edit)
09. Safri Duo – Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song) (Radio Edit)
10. Ultra Naté – Get It Up (The Feeling) (Original Radio Edit)
11. Rockell – What U Did 2 Me (JP’s Radio Edit)
12. Sureal – You Take My Breath Away (Radio Edit)
13. Sarina Paris – Look At Us (Radio Edit)
14. D-Devils – 6th Gate (Original Mix)
15. Becca – You Make Me Feel… (More & More) (Radio Edit)
16. Melanie C – I Turn To You (Hex Hector Radio Mix)
17. Ian Van Dahl – Castles In The Sky (Radio Edit)
Tracklist For The Compilation 2
01. Da Buzz – Be With Me
02. Kim English – Everyday (Hex Hector/Mac Quayle Radio Edit)
03. Amber – Yes (H2Q Edit)
04. Georgie Porgie – Love’s Gonna Save The Day (Latour-n-Legg Radio Mix)
05. Baha Men – Move It Like This (Shake It Radio Edit)
06. Erika – Relations (Radio Edit)
07. Hannah – Blinded (Radio Edit)
08. Wendy Phillips – Stay (Airscape Radio Edit)
09. Stevo – By My Side (Pop Edit)
10. Funky Green Dogs – You Got Me (Burnin’ Up) (DJ Asle Radio Edit)
11. Kosheen – Hide U
12. Perpetuous Dreamer – The Sound Of Goodbye (Above & Beyond Mix Edit)
13. Laut Sprecher feat. Katie Skate – Omnibus (Radio Edit)
14. Nicole J. McCloud – One Good Reason (Dezrok’s Radio Mix)
15. Absolom – Stars (Radio Edit)
16. DMA / Energy Megamix – Mixed by DJ 2nd Nature & Andre Perry